Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Showering with Gecko's....

Days often start and end in ways that are quite a bit different than planned…. This was one of them.

The day started quite early with the thrum of diesels up and down the dock beside us as the charter fishing fleet warmed up at about 05:00 hrs to take their charters out for the day. It may have started a little bit earlier actually as there were a number of people up and prepping the boats before they actually started. Once they were gone, we settled back into sleep for several hours and finally got up around 9 am local time. Had a little chat with the marina office and moved slips to the next dock over. Hopefully it will be a little quieter.

Jason was not feeling well this morning…. A few stomach aches, etc. which grew worse and then better as the day went on. Rather than take a chance and go kayaking, he kept a pretty low profile and rested up. I decided it would be a perfect time to deal with my new battery problem. The new battery has crapped out, so I had to find an AutoZone store here in PV. As it turns out, one just opened. I took the dead battery, my sales slip and a taxi to the new store. No problems returning the battery, but none in stock of that type to exchange. There were no refunds, just exchanges was what I figured out between Spanish and English without an interpreter handy. The much more expensive battery was not what I had in mind but with a small discount, lots of grumbling, off I went with the new battery, specific for marine applications. The discount was quickly eaten by the taxi fares. I have found that whenever you add the term “marine” in front of anything the price goes up substantially.

Got back to the marina and Jason was feeling a little better
so we took a walk along the beach front. It was pretty quiet in front of the hotels but they looked like there were a few clients. Saw a man walking with a little boy and girl, and I am pretty sure Jason had a little flash of homesickness.

Came back to the boat and made a nice pasta dinner. Jason tried some of it and promptly heaved it back up to Neptune and associates. He now has the record of getting sicker off of my cooking faster than anyone else who has previously tried it. He could have just given me 2 stars out of 10 or something rather than being so graphic. He is feeling better again though.

The local sales agents along the marina front are starting to get to know us. I think I have stopped and talked with most, introduced myself, shook hands, and I have lots of new friends who are willing to help me with anything for a small fee but also know that I am not buying….

Jason is resting now, which is a good thing. My cooking can sometimes take a while to recover from. I finished up having a cool refreshing shower… with a gecko. Gecko’s are small little lizards that eat insects and are generally considered to be good luck. It was not so lucky for him as the showers here are very cold. In fact, I think we have found the coldest water in Mexico. I caught the poor little guy, warmed him with my hands and let him out the window.

Overall it was not what we planned but still a good day.

2 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Blogger Sailor's Wife said...

Ahoy there Capitan Ricko
What are you doing to poor Black Dog? As your next first mate I have some concerns....COLDEST WATER in Mexico? Giant Lizards in the shower? Huge storm approaching? Noisy boats at 5 am??
On the other hand, my compositions already have some excellent topics, for other poor Sailor's Wives, and I am not even there yet. Keyboard is due to arrive on Friday....beware.
Sailor's Wife, who had to reschedule all her flights today to PV instead of Manzanillo....

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Sinister Wife said...

Batten the hatches...Hurricane Nathene is coming...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home