Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Tansi Yotin

Sometime earlier, I had posted the boat's name as Tansi, which when loosely translated from Cree means "Welcome".

Originally when I bought the boat in Berkeley, I was advised by Transport Canada that I could not register the vessel until I brought it back into Canada. As such I went through a long and painful process registering in California. Since then, I found that I can register the boat in Canada, and started the process.

One quirk with Transport Canada's requirements is that the name chosen for the vessel cannot be the same or similar sounding as another vessel registered in Canada. "Tansi" as it turns out sounded similar to a vessel in eastern Canada named "Tansy".

Rather than naming the boat "Tansi 1" or something like that, I came up with "Tansi Yotin". After some careful consultation with some Cree Elders, I have been told that it is a good name and translates well.

"Tansi Yotin" loosely translated means "Welcome Wind". It is a somewhat fitting name for a sailboat I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home