Wednesday, February 03, 2010

A better day....

Rained all night, heavy at times. Rare for this time of year, it is being attributed to El Nino. With no storm sewers, water floods down the roads and reaches up to the axles on vehicles for some long stretches... On the plus side, gave me a chance to check for leaks. Some windows need to be recaulked as do the chain plates. Sun came out in the morning and it turned into a very nice, if not humid day.
Worked on the electrical today. Got the cranking battery to take a full charge, left it on overnight and it was sitting at a full charge this morning. Borrowed a load tester and checked the battery. It seems fine and held the charge without dropping today.
Took apart the grounding system and cleaned all the terminals. Lots of corrosion, may have to replace a battery cable but the bottom line is that the DC system seems to be fine. I will be checking lights, etc. later but the bilge pump is working again and the VHF radio seems fine as well. Got to take the electric pump apart on the head. It seems corroded as well, kind of important to make sure that is working...
Took a trip into town with one of the other cruisers. Checked out batteries at one place but did not have what I wanted, have to bring my spanish phrase book with me. Could not figure out which batteries were deep cycle..... Got some groceries while in town as well. Rum is about 130 pesos for Appleton Special, beer has gone up a bit, 8 Pacifico for 70 pesos, up from 60 last year... One canadian dollar is trading for about 12 pesos at this time.
Got all the laundry done, cleaned and dried out the outdoor cushions. I left them out last night and they were pretty soggy. Also left the genaker outside in its bag and it got pretty wet. I pulled it up the mast to dry out, some of the dye has run, but it is still a pretty blue and white kite.
All in all, a better day today.... much better than a good day at work.

1 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Blogger Sailor's Wife said...

Hi There
Just thought I would post in for the first time this trip. As I am the new crew starting Feb 15th, be warned that this time, for the first time, I am bringing along my piano keyboard and my composition papers and poetry sheets....there will be ballads, blues, rock and roll, etc. about this trip. I hope to "communicate" with other sailor's wives and see what we can come up with....I am sure we have much in common....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home